Tuesday, April 19, 2011

NBFF Filmmaker's Five with Grant Wheeler

By Kelly Strodl
Pastedgraphic-2

Today Grant Wheeler, director of The Lone Jackal took a few minutes to answer my questions about his film – The Lone Jackal, screening this year as part of the Action Sports Shorts showcase. The documentary film follows motorcross freerider, Alastair Sayer on his return to his native African homeland after a successful European FMX tour. His journey home is chronicled through heart-felt narration while visiting friends and family and battling the weather to ride once again. The Lone Jackal documents a major turning point in Sayer's life, when he comes full circle, both literally and symbolically, preparing for the next stage of his life where he blazes a new path in his career and seals his legacy as one of Africa's most stylish freeriders.

Q: How did you hear about the Newport Beach Film Festival?

I found the festival on 

Withoutabox.com.

Q: Tell a little about the story of your film and the production of it.

I've been a dedicated fan of motorcycle movies from an early age, and I've collected almost every single title released since Terrafirma 1. And I've seen the progression of dirtbike films over the decades, following in the footsteps of skate and surf movies. As the years progressed these films started becoming more narrative driven and focused on the athletes and their personal stories. I felt that dirtbike movies needed to evolve into that direction, and I needed to evolve my own filmmaking into that direction too. So I rounded up the most volatile and well respected African freerider, the bushcat from Botswana, Alastair Sayer. 

Alastair has a jam packed schedule traveling around Europe doing shows for Masters of Dirt and competing in the Night of the Jumps series, thus we had to plan our shoot for when he returns to South Africa between events. The premise of the film was to depict the rider 'helmet off', getting a deeper perspective of what it takes to live this rock-star lifestyle, yet still with a healthy dose of great riding sequences. Alastair moved into my house for his time back home, and so did most of the production crew. We followed him almost Cinema Verte style from the moment he stepped off the plane till he left again. 

Jakalas, as his fans know him by, was going through a huge personal battle at the time. He was at a turning point in his career, where he either had to progress to the next level, or quit completely. Each time he left home he risked his relationship with close family and friends. Being away from your loved ones for long periods takes its toll on the toughest of characters. Alastair beautifully narrated his journey and the choices he made. After five weeks of shooting, and an all night session in the voice over studio later, we said our goodbyes and he was off on another adventure. Days later he set the new World Record for set-up and was awarded the best African FMX rider. 

Q: Tell a little about yourself and your story in filmmaking.

I grew up racing motorcycles, broke too many bones and had to find something else I could do creatively while healing up. Shooting my buddies ride was always my passion, and still is. After making some dirtbike movies, I completed my studies at film school and now I'm very fortunate to still be making motorcycle movies, its not really a job. Thats why I love it so much.

Q: Your take on the performances of the lead actors, (set backs, triumphs, impressions, good surprises, etc.)

The weather played a big role in the production of this film. We went into production during spring, just as the summer thunderstorms started rolling into Johannesburg. We planned an epic sunset freeride session but day after day we got rained out, and our time with Alastair was also running out. But eventually the bad weather turned into a metaphor for Alastairs personal struggles, so I wrote it into the film. On the second to last day of shooting, we headed out to his favorite freeride spot and the clouds magically parted for us to shoot the most epic sunset sequence. And in his own words, "Every day is a gift, that is why they call it the Present".

Q: What do you do when not making a smash indie film?

I try to ride my motorcycle as much as I can. I've just recently had most of the titanium plates and bolts removed from my body, and hope to be injury free for a while. Other than that I'm currently making Extreme Enduro movies for Throttle Entertainment and traveling the world in search of new stories.

______________________________________________________________

THE LONE JACKAL screens with two other films as part of the ACTION SPORTS SHORTS SHOWCASE Saturday, April 30 at 11 AM in the Triangle Square Theater 4.

To purchase tickets visit:

http://newportbeach.slated.com/2011/films/thelonejackal_jonathangrantwheeler_newportbeach2011

Watch the trailer for the film here:

Posted via email from Lights, Camera, Film Fest!

No comments: