Thursday, April 28, 2011

NBFF Filmmaker's Five with Nick Stagliano

By Kelly Strodl

Media_httpwwwnewportb_gdkav

Well, as things are just now getting underway at the 12th Annual Newport Beach Film Festival we talk with Nick Stagliano, director of GOOD DAY FOR IT, which will be having its World Premier at the 2011 Newport Beach Film Festival. Screening this Saturday, the film is a gritty crime drama that takes an interesting turn when innocent people get caught up with a gang of robbers. Luke was forced to abandon his family when he stole money from a local gang to pay for his daughter Emily's heart surgery. Years later Luke comes out of the shadows to meet his daughter and is spotted by the gang he robbed. Now he must risk his life to protect his family from his dangerous past.

Q:  How did you hear about the Newport Beach Film Festival?

I first heard about the NBFF a few years ago with my previous production "the 24th day" which had it's world premiere at TriBeCa, but we were not able to screen it at that time. With GDFI, my producer's rep Noor Ahmed at Reder and Feig, submitted it to Erik Forssell and happily we were invited to screen the world premiere as a Saturday night spotlight film.

Q: Tell a little about the story of your film and the production of it.

GDFI is a pretty interesting story as I had the idea for the film based simply on that title first. My uncle, before he passed away, would come over to my house and tell stories of the "old days" growing up with my father, and how this old man would always walk past them as children and tip his hat and say "good day for it" and then keep walking. Well, as a dramatist, for years I always wondered what exactly it was a good day for...

I was lucky enough that my first film, THE FLORENTINE, which was executive produced by Francis Ford Coppola, had Hal Holbrook in it, and he likes that film very much, so for years we would meet whenever I was in LA or he came to NY. 3 years ago I met Hal and his late wife Dixie Carter for coffee on 42nd St, and told them the title and that story, and Hal tapped me on the shoulder and said, " I like that, send it to us as soon as you finish". Luckily, they both loved it, but regrettably I could not secure all the financing by the time Dixie became ill and so she was not able to do the film. Once I had the script and Mr. Holbrook on board, the material generated a lot of positive response and we were able to gather a tremendous cast for the final shoot.

Q: Tell a little about yourself and your story in filmmaking.

First and foremost I started as a fan of the movies. As a small boy my father, who loved films, would let me stay up late on Oscar night to watch the Academy Awards and I would go to school the next day all excited with the winners names in my head, and of course none of my classmates would care at all. Well, after graduating college with a double major in English and communications, I was advised by one of my professors to pursue filmmaking as a profession. That was an eye opening revelation, as I had no connections to the entertainment business, but my parents supported me fully and I was ultimately accepted to NYU's Graduate Film Institute. I worked my way up from free PA to editor to line producer and ad to finally producer/director.

Q: Your take on the performances of the lead actors, (set backs, triumphs, impressions, good surprises, etc.)

My first 2 films are based on plays, so I guess you can say that I am an actor's director, as I believe that the actor is my greatest asset and the key to all great films. Even without large budgets and cool special effects, a good story, with great actors, will hold an audiences attention to the end. As I started to build the story of GDFI, what started as a small tight cast with one main location, grew into a ten character ensemble suspense thriller. I am very proud of everyone's performance in the film, as each character has a sense of purpose and when you cast great actors they have a way of making you look much better as a director. Legends like Hal Holbrook and Kathy Baker are fantastic as the owners of this last chance cafe which anchors the action. Equally strong are Mika Boorem as the catalyst for the story, Samantha Mathis as her long suffering mom and Lance Henriksen at his best as the antagonist who propels the tension. But, there are also really impressive supporting roles by Richard BrakeJoe FlaniganRobert Englund and Christian Kane. I am extremely proud and excited,however, by the breakout performance of our lead, Robert Patrick, as the lonesome stranger of few words but devastating actions.

Q: What do you do when not making a smash indie film?

Right now, when not hitting the festival circuit, for me it is all about the Stanley Cup playoffs. I really get very little done creatively in late April/May as I am glued to the tube watching the greatest game on ice. Thankfully there is no game on the night of our world premiere, or it might have been a very difficult decision.

The film will be followed by a Q&A session with Nick Stagliano & star Robert Patrick! Follow the film and Q&A join cast, crew and everyone else at the Saturday Night Centerpiece Party presented by 944 Magazine at Sports Club LA-Orange County with top entertainment and hors d’oeuvres prepared by award winning Newport Beach restaurants. Hosted bar by Stella Artois and Absolut. Address: 1980 Main St, Irvine CA 92614. Price: $40 Film and Party/$15 Film Only/$25 Party Only. Age: 21+

To purchase tickets for either or both the film and the Saturday Night Centerpiece Party visit:

http://newportbeach.slated.com/2011/films/gooddayforit_nickstagliano_newportbeach2011

Watch the trailer for the film here:

Posted via email from Lights, Camera, Film Fest!

No comments: