Friday, April 22, 2011

NBFF Filmmaker's Five with Brian Jun

By Kelly Strodl
Pastedgraphic-1

Today we talk with Brian Jun, director of JOINT BODY, a film about new beginnings and battling old demons. After serving a seven year prison sentence, Nick Burke has been given a second chance. His ex-wife bars him from seeing their daughter, but he finds kinship with a troubled woman who helps him re-evaluate his life. The brief encounter with Michelle - a lonely, exotic dancer, leaves Nick in the dangerous path of an unlikely assailant which ends in murder. Nick and Michelle are now forced to evade the law, knowing that their companionship may be their ultimate downfall.

Q:  How did you hear about the Newport Beach Film Festival?

I first heard about NBFF back in the late 90s when I was in film school... a late mentor of my mine (George Hickenlooper) had a film there called "Dogtown." More recently, one of our Exec Producers, Gregg Steiner, has ties to the area and lives down there so it's been on his radar for a possible premiere all along. We're happy to be have our first screening at NBFF.

Q: Tell a little about the story of your film and the production of it.

I've been fortunate enough to have made 3 features in my young career,  and each one has it's own unique catalyst.  This film simply came from a lot pain. It's all very personal, but I wanted to tell a bleak story about loss, guilt and pain.  

The production - 12 days with 2 days of exteriors.  Small crew - we moved insanely fast. I give 50% credit to a great crew, and the other 50% goes to Mark Pellegrino and Alicia Witt, who were impeccably prepared. We had a lot of locations which made for a very long prep time for myself and the producers. I did most of my prep in L.A., and hit it hard 3 weeks prior to shooting in the Midwest.

Q: Tell a little about yourself and your story in filmmaking.

It's just a life I've chosen.  Film is a visual canvass, except it takes more than paint to make a statement.  It's excessively expensive and exploited; and it's the most rewarding and heart-breaking way to make a life for oneself.  I'm a film school kid - I cut my teeth on super-8 and 16mm - on the old Arri's. I love film, and since the digital age is now upon us, everyone and their brother become a filmmaker overnight. I'm always learning,  watching, learning, watching... trying to stay disciplined. I'm 31 now; I was cutting on flatbeds when I was 17 years old and syncing work-print to mag with a grease pencil. Does film school even exist anymore?  Or is it just a bunch of teenagers with iPhones? 

Q: Your take on the performances of the lead actors, (set backs, triumphs, impressions, good surprises, etc.)

Just true pros. Mark Pellegrino and Alicia Witt - so amazing and humble. And they LISTEN. Not just to me, but to the rhythm of the dialogue – the meaning and purpose - they want to know what lens you're on so they get an idea of the frame.  All very amazing and I was humbled to work with them.

Also some newcomers - Ryan O'Nan who I think is going to be a big star. The guy is drowning in talent. He's fearless and extremely confident. Daesha Lynn - her first role, and I was happy to give it to her. She deserves some more opportunities because she has a real presence on screen and it's almost as if her eyes speak.  It's the weirdest thing.  

And my buddy Tom Guiry - we're talking raw talent here. Tommy had the lead in my first film (Steel City) and he has a great New Jersey ass. Go see the film and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Q: What do you do when not making a smash indie film?

Again, it's getting back to the whole life of being an indie filmmaker. I've had day jobs – mainly blue-collar fare. I also volunteer for several youth programs in Los Angeles - Los Angeles Youth Network (www.layn.org) and have been a mentor in creative writing through the Young Storyteller's Foundation.  

__________________________________________________

JOINT BODY screens Friday, April 29 at 7:45 PM in the Triangle Square Theater 6.

To purchase tickets visit:

http://newportbeach.slated.com/2011/films/jointbody_brianjun_newportbeach2011

Watch the trailer for the film here:

Posted via email from Lights, Camera, Film Fest!

No comments: