Monday, April 25, 2011

NBFF Filmmaker's Five with Hilary Armstrong

By Kelly Strodl

Today we hear from Hilary Armstrong, director of CALIFORNIA STATE OF MIND: THE LEGACY OF PAT BROWN. This dynamic American Dream story follows the journey of a man rising against seemingly insurmountable obstacles to shape the future of modern California. Told from his granddaughter’s perspective, the documentary gracefully pivots from a turbulent decade in American history to the contemporary challenges that California faces today. An exciting tale of the West comes into focus as the filmmaker wrestles with the inherited optimism of her grandfather's legacy.

Q:  How did you hear about the Newport Beach Film Festival?

I heard about NBFF a ways back. It’s a gem that’s often talked about. We thought it would be fun to have our world premiere in the OC. 

Q: Tell a little about the story of your film and the production of it.

This is my coming out story--coming out as a Brown. I have always been shy about being a Brown and have preferred being anonymous.  I became increasingly more frustrated as I watched a growing apathy, a mounting distrust of politicians, and the mind-numbing political paralysis.  I couldn’t sit on the sidelines anymore.  I felt like it was important to remember a time when political gridlock wasn’t the norm.  My grandfather had incredible optimism and actually got things done.  People like to say it was easier back then in the ‘Golden Era of California’, but if you watch the film, you see that every political victory was a challenging battle.  Democracy is messy and imperfect, but it can work.  My grandfather always made me to believe that I could make a difference and that my voice was important.  I thought a biography about my grandfather would inspire others to believe they too could make a difference. He came from humble beginnings and his story seemed like the American Dream story that could give hope to the next generation.  I knew the contours of my grandfather’s story, but during the filmmaking process I made so many discoveries about his life that were new to me.  When I decided to make the film (almost 7 years ago), I had no idea Pat Brown’s son would be governor again.  At the time Uncle Jerry was kinda off the map and hadn’t even decided to run for Attorney General.

I knew I needed a solid producing team, so I teamed up with another of Pat Brown’s Granddaughters, my sister Executive Producer Hilary Armstrong who has been a phenomenal partner. She has worked tirelessly to support my vision.  The film has been entirely funded through donations from over 400 different individuals, foundations, and corporate sponsors.  It has been an incredible journey collecting donations from all across the state starting at $25 on up.   We joined forces with Producer Julia Mintz whose recent work includes Nanking, Soundtrack for a Revolution, and The Life and Times of Frida Kahlo.  Our creative team has been amazing. What a collaboration!  Check out our website to learn more about the awesome team: www.patbrowndocumentary.com

Q: Tell a little about yourself and your story in filmmaking.

I’m a native Los Angeleno and 6th generation Californian. I received a BA in “Integrated Arts and Cultural Studies” from Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts. After graduating, I moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico, where I produced, directed, and wrote plays and screenplays.  I was a founding member of Frogs on the Water Theater Co, which produced original plays including the hit play“The Second Snipping”, which I co-wrote and produced.  I was the cinematographer for an award-winning short film, “when he was gone” which I also produced.  I ran a small video production company, then headed back to Los Angeles. After completing the series of workshops in the Career Training Division at the American Film Institute, I worked on various independent, USC, and UCLA graduate films in positions ranging from script supervisor to first AD.

My last film MANGO KISS was a lesbian romantic comedy.   That feature film is much better traveled than I am. It went to over 80 venues internationally and next month will screen at Sistah Sinema as the leading film on a three part series themed "Chilvary or Chauvinism."  Many were surprised that I decided to make a serious political documentary, but they both are time capsules. I like to take stories and give people a new way to view them.  My next project is likely another off beat romantic comedy with the same writer of MANGO KISS.  

Q: Your take on the performances of the lead actors, (set backs, triumphs, impressions, good surprises, etc.)

Greatest surprise: my Uncle decided to run for governor again, and won.

Documentaries always take a while to put together, so we had the regular set backs of putting together funding.  It was very hard to overcome my shyness about being on camera and being the narrator.  I originally thought I could make a straight political doc, but I realized when I talked to people about the story that a story about my grandfather was much more accessible than telling a story about a politician from long ago.   Finding the narrative was a challenge. The tyranny of the facts! Sometimes life isn’t suited to a satisfying dramatic arc.  One big challenge was navigating the election cycle.  It was hard to narratively button up Uncle Jerry.  His life is worthy of a documentary on its own, so keeping him as a supporting character in Pat Brown’s story was tricky.  Also traveling back down the path of my mom’s failed bid for Governor was/is painful.  Over all it was a thrilling process of discovery. Now that I know my grandfather’s story so well, many assume that I knew it all along.  I studied his life and finding the amazing archival footage was a blast.  It was an honor to do the interviews with the subjects in the film.  Each one provided a treasure trove of material. 

Q: What do you do when not making a smash indie film?

Yoga, hike, bake with my daughter, go to laser tag parties with my son, make crafts with my girlfriends, go the movies with my husband, Book Group with the ladies, teach writing, and I’m on the board of the Pat Brown Institute of Public Affairs.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

CALIFORNIA STATE OF MIND: THE LEGACY OF PAT BROWN screens Saturday, April 29 at 3 PM at the Regency Lido Theater.

To purchase tickets visit:

http://newportbeach.slated.com/2011/films/californiastateofmindthelegacyofpatbrown_sascharice_newportbeach2011

Watch the trailer for the film here:

http://www.patbrowndocumentary.com/trailer2011/index.html 

Posted via email from Lights, Camera, Film Fest!

No comments: